Top News

LETTER: Appalling rural services? Take it to the CRTC

I have been reading with interest the varied complaints by NS rural citizens concerning the state of our cable internet services, cell phone services, and a host of other "services" that most urban dwellers take for granted. I would have to agree that many of these services are appallingly primitive and vastly overpriced.

Clementsport resident Clifford King agrees rural cell phone and internet services may be appalling, but suggests complaining to the provincial government may be like barking up the wrong cell tower. He suggests taking it to the CRTC.

However appealing to the provincial government is likely a waste of time and effort. Most, if not all, of these services are regulated by the federal government through the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC). It is to this powerful body that complaints of this sort should be addressed.

Those fortunate enough to have workable internet service may do so through their website at:  They can also be contacted by 'phone at Toll-free: 1-877-249-2782 or by mail at Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0N2.

This commission has sweeping powers over establishing rules, policies, and guidelines. Theoretically they are independent of government overview, but no federal government is going to ignore issues that effect voters in an election year.

A note to the Office of the Prime Minister via email:  might help. Regular mail: Office of the Prime Minister, 80 Wellington Street, Ottawa, K1A 0A2.

Recall that all of these people work for us. Their salaries are paid for out of the taxes we pay on everything. There has never been a better time to take them to task.


Clifford M King


Recent Stories