Top News

Waterville home ‘completely destroyed’ in overnight fire

This home in Waterville was destroyed by a fire that broke out overnight Dec. 9. (WDFD photo)
This home in Waterville was destroyed by a fire that broke out overnight Dec. 9. (WDFD photo) - Contributed

WATERVILLE, N.S. – A Dykens Lane man displaced by a house fire was stirred awake in the nick of time Dec. 9 thanks to man’s best friend.

Waterville and District Fire Department spokesperson Kevin Ernest said the canine intervention is credited with “perhaps saving the man’s life” in the overnight fire called in around 4:40 a.m.

“The front area of the home was fully involved when our chief arrived.”

No humans or pets were injured in the blaze, but Ernest said the home was “completely destroyed.”

“It was one of our own who was home alone at the time,” he said, noting that the man is staying with family for now.

Fire departments from Waterville, Kentville and Berwick were dispatched to the structure fire through automatic aid protocol and crews from Aylesford and New Minas were later called in to assist with overhaul efforts.

“The cold had taken its toll on the crews battling the fire. We brought in the extra crews to come in and do the overhaul,” said Ernest, adding that firefighters were contending with frigid temperatures and icing conditions.

“The cold weather did present its challenges.”

Paramedics were on hand as a precaution and the scene was cleared around 9:30 a.m.

“We believe the cause is accidental, but no further investigation is required,” said Ernest.

Kentville fire Dec. 7

The Canadian Red Cross issued a press release Dec. 8 indicating that five adults were displaced as a result of a fire at a large, two-level house containing several apartments.

“All five have been assisted by Canadian Red Cross volunteers with emergency lodging and food. The blaze was contained mostly to the kitchen of the apartment and they were able to retrieve clothing and some other items once the fire was out,” said the Red Cross release.

“There were no injuries from the fire.”

The Mee Road blaze, which damaged one unit in a building located across the street from NSCC Kingstec, was reported shortly after 9 p.m. Dec. 7.

Recent Stories