UPPER VAUGHAN, N.S. — Firefighters from Brooklyn, Hantsport and Windsor quickly extinguished a fire at a two-storey home in Upper Vaughan on Nov. 7.
The call came around 9:30 a.m.
By 11 a.m., traffic had reopened to one lane near the 900 block of Highway 14 and firefighters were finishing up at the scene.
“When I arrived on scene there was heavy smoke showing around the eaves of the house. I attempted to open the front door and that was filled with smoke,” said deputy fire chief Wayne Swinimer, of the Brooklyn Fire Department.
“The occupants were out. At that time, I did a 360 around the house and had to wait for the trucks to get here. I couldn’t gain entry.”
About two dozen firefighters were at the scene, and fire crews from Rawdon and Wolfville provided standby coverage.
Hantsport fire chief Peter Johnston said it was still early in the investigation but he could confirm that no one was injured.
“I haven’t gotten the full report from everybody yet, who were first in, but right now it’s looking like it was a dryer fire at the back of the house,” said Johnston of the possible cause.
“There’s lots of smoke damage and fire damage in the back corner,” Johnston said.
Both Johnston and Swinimer said the fire was extinguished quickly.
“It was a quick knockdown,” said Johnston. “The crews got in there quick and hit the fire right away.”