Top News

Man charged following report of shots fired in Lower West Pubnico

Numerous RCMP vehicles and officers were on the scene in Lower West Pubnico on March 16 after a report of shots being fired. PHOTO COURTESY OF LORNE D'ENTREMONT
Numerous RCMP vehicles and officers were on the scene in Lower West Pubnico on March 16 after a report of shots being fired. PHOTO COURTESY OF LORNE D'ENTREMONT - Contributed
LOWER WEST PUBNICO, N.S. —

A 35-year-old man is facing numerous charges after the RCMP responded to a residence in Lower West Pubnico on March 16 following a complaint of shots having being fired.

The call came in at 4:57 p.m. on Saturday. There was a large RCMP response to the complaint. Yarmouth Rural RCMP with assistance from Yarmouth Town RCMP both responded with multiple police officers and numerous RCMP vehicles.

On social media people reported seeing at least a half dozen RCMP vehicles with sirens activated, heading out on Highway 103 towards West Pubnico. According to residents of the area, a section of road was blocked off to traffic while the RCMP were present.

In a media release, the RCMP say they were able to eventually convince the man to surrender and exit the home. He was arrested without further incident. The man has been remanded into custody and is scheduled to appear in Yarmouth Provincial Court on Monday March 18.

The RCMP have not released the man’s name. Constable Natasha Dantiste says the RCMP are not releasing his name in order to protect the identity of others. She did not want to disclose too many specifics. The matter remains under investigation.

Numerous RCMP vehicles and officers were in Lower West Pubnico on March 16 after a report of shots being fired. PHOTO COURTESY OF LORNE D'ENTREMONT
Numerous RCMP vehicles and officers were in Lower West Pubnico on March 16 after a report of shots being fired. PHOTO COURTESY OF LORNE D'ENTREMONT

The 35-year-old male is charged with:

• Pointing a firearm

• Uttering threats

• Unauthorized possession of a firearm

• Discharge of firearm, 2 counts

• Careless use of firearm

• Possession of firearm

• Fail to comply, 2 counts

Const. Dantiste said as the situation unfolded on Saturday people in a few neighbouring properties were told to stay inside their homes.

Two-and-a-half hours after the call had come in and the situation had been resolved the majority of RCMP officers had vacated the scene. Only a couple of RCMP cruisers remained on scene in the evening in the vicinity of the De La Tour Co-op.

Recent Stories