AYLESFORD, NS – A second fire in Aylesford this week totalled a hunting camp Nov. 24.
The fire was called in as a house fire at 8:48 a.m. The Aylesford Fire Department responded shortly after and was soon joined on the scene by Waterville, Kingston, and Berwick fire departments.
Aylesford Fire Chief Shawn Carey headed the operation, saying signs pointed to people likely being at the camp last night, but that this has not yet been confirmed.
The building was empty at the time of the fire.
He said the building was, “fully engulfed when we arrived because of the its small size.”
The small square footage, along with the building having no electricity, made for a straightforward approach, said Carey.
The one challenge firefighters faced was the propane from barbeque tanks feeding the fire, but still managed to get it extinguished by 10 a.m.
At its height, Carey estimates the fire reached 30 feet by 40 feet, due to the propane.
This is the second fire in Aylesford this week – a Lake Paul home burned down Nov. 21 – but Carey said he has no reason to suspect arson.
“We have convincing evidence that points to both fires having started on their own. We’re still finalizing it, but we are not investigating for arson at this time,” he said.
RCMP were also on scene.
See also: Fire destroys Lake Paul home