Fire destroys fish plant

Heather Killen
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

By Heather Killen

The Spectator

NovaNewsNow.com

 

No one was injured during fire that destroyed a fish plant in Parkers Cove.

RCMP Cpl. Dale Guy said the fire, which is under investigation by the fire marshal, probably started around 4:30 p.m. on July 15. A fisherman noticed smoke coming from the ice room and alerted the workers who were on duty at the time.

They tried dousing the blaze with garden hoses, but were unsuccessful. A mutual aid call was issued to fire departments in Annapolis Royal, Bridgetown, and Bear River, but by the time firefighters arrived on the scene, the fire was fully engaged and they were unable to save the building.

The road was closed for several hours, while fire fighters pumped seawater from the bay to put out the blaze. The building is insured, according to Cpl. Guy.

Organizations: RCMP, Annapolis Royal

Geographic location: Parkers Cove, Bridgetown, Bear River

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Christina Rowlings
    July 20, 2013 - 15:05

    I would have to agree with Shawn Everett, the title would certainly get people's attention and give fuel for rumors. When reading the brief write up, no one that was qualified to even to refer to this as "suspicious" did not even quote this to give reason for the word being utilized. It is sad that when a business in a local community is lost, the devastation of that alone is enough to deal with and then to have this titled as such for this newspaper is uncalled for. This fish plant employs local people, the owner has grown up in this area and therefore most of us know the owner, we certainly would know that this was not the case. So for some of us, we did not like this way of reporting, not called for and for the rest of your readers that are not from this area, they are led to believe that this was suspicious. Maybe next time when something happens, maybe you should check out your information and make sure you are in the parameters of what should be written and what was actually said. I hope that the plant is back up and running as soon as possible and I am sure there will be support there for the owner and the workers. I guess ratings are one thing, but a little more consideration and respect would be great too.

  • Shawn Everett
    July 18, 2013 - 11:03

    I am very upset and disturbed about the way you people put this article out to the general public. What prompted you Miss/Mrs. Killen to report this as suspicious? I find this very distasteful and completely unessessary. I believe this is a big part of what is wrong with our society today. Generally speaking, it seems to me people no longer understand what common decency is. The world would be a better place if in times of trouble, we direct our focus on the good in people rather than "speculate" on the bad. To all those that lended a helping hand, thank you from the bottom of my heart. It restores my confidence in the human race after seeing all of you helping where ever you could and the phone calls of concern and best wishes. To those of you who want to point the finger at mischief.....shame on you! Shawn Everett p.s. please feel free to publish this, on second thought, I would like to insist that you do!

    • darrell corkum
      July 20, 2013 - 18:09

      agree with you 100% shawn

    • Frank Michael Foley
      July 20, 2013 - 18:41

      Right on for you Shawn. It is a devastating loss to you and the community that surrounds you. I too am offended by the term "suspicious", if this was a deliberate fire I am sure it would not be done during working hours where the risk of human life would be highest and surely your employees would not have been dousing it with hoses till the Fire Dept. arrived. I am truly sorry for your loss but I am also say BRAVO to you for rebuilding and looking out for your employees. A big thank you goes out to all the volunteer firefighters that risk their lives every day to help and protect us all.

  • Jane
    July 17, 2013 - 10:14

    As a summer resident of the area, we frequent the market often when we are at our cottage and always tell our guests and renters to do the same. What a shame. Our hearts go out to the owners.